Shakur Stevenson failed to make weight for Thursday’s fight against Robson Conceicao in Newark, New Jersey, and will be stripped of his two 130-pound titles under championship fight rules administered by the WBO and WBC.
The 25-year-old weighed 131.6 pounds and had two hours to lose 1.6 pounds, but determined she couldn’t lose more weight.
“I gave it my all,” Stevenson tweeted, ESPN’s No. 1 junior lightweight. “I’ve been professional my whole career and lifted weights, but my body can’t handle 130 anymore. My health has to come first. I’m moving up to 135 for my next fight.”
Olympic gold medalist Conceicao will be eligible to win the two vacant titles, assuming the fight goes ahead as planned. The 33-year-old from Brazil weighed in at 129.6 pounds for a chance at the second title of his career. His other crack at a championship came in September 2021, when he dropped a controversial decision to Oscar Valdes.
Valdez was cleared to fight despite having a banned substance in his system following a positive test weeks before the fight. Conceicao (17-1, 8 KOs) bounced back with a knockout of Javier Martinez in January, while Valdez Stevenson dominated in April.
Stevenson (18-0, 9 KOs) will be fined by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission and forfeit some of his purse to allow the fight to proceed. Stevenson is slated to make $3 million, sources told ESPN. Top Rank is trying to find a solution so Stevenson and Conceicao can still fight in the ESPN main event, sources said.
Stevenson previously held a title at 126 pounds. Stevenson, an Olympic silver medalist, could seek more bouts at 135 pounds with fellow top-ranked boxers Devin Haney, the undisputed lightweight champion, and Vasily Lomachenko.
“Communicator. Music aficionado. Certified bacon trailblazer. Travel advocate. Subtly charming social media fanatic.”