“We know two of the hostages have been released in Haiti. We thank God for this! We can only provide limited information, but we can report that the two released hostages are safe, in good spirits, and concerned,” the organization said Sunday.
“We are delighted with this release and our hearts are with the fifteen who are still detained,” the statement said.
Authorities in the United States and Haiti have not publicly commented on whether any of the hostages have been released. The Haitian police, the U.S. embassy in Haiti, the Secretary of Justice, the Secretary of State and the Office of the Prime Minister, and the U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
U.S. and Haitian officials and aid agencies have been largely silent on the release of the hostages. The detainees demanded $ 1 million for a hostage, Haitian Justice and Interior Minister Liszt Quidel previously told CNN.
Extortion rackets in Haiti are widespread and often indiscriminate, targeting the rich and the poor, young and old. According to the local human rights body CARDH, kidnappings have been on the rise in the months since the assassination of President Jovanel Moise in July, and the country’s political instability has been compounded by rising crime. The 400 Maoist group is particularly notorious for group kidnappings.
“Is a month ever so long? We reminisce about the first few days of hoping for a quick response and timely release, and our hearts cry out, ‘Lord, how long will this continue?'” The unnamed mother of one of the hostages in an earlier report by the Ministry of Christian Aid released on November 19th.
“Communicator. Music aficionado. Certified bacon trailblazer. Travel advocate. Subtly charming social media fanatic.”